Friday, February 20, 2015

Prompt Response: Week 6

Let's set people up with a blind date with a romance material! All of the excitement of a blind date without any of the awkwardness or fear of being out with a psycho...or at least not without knowing it! We can wrap each piece, be it book, audiobook or movie in craft paper, with just a cut out where the barcode is, and write a quick and mysterious description highlighting some of it's most appealing factors on the paper, including those that would entice reader's/listener's/viewers from other genres, such as choosing romances which also feature historical fiction elements, or those that also feature supernatural elements.

To make it even more fun, we could encourage people to post pictures of them on their blind date using a hashtag such as #PGTPLblinddate, and encourage them to be as kitschy as possible... you want to take a picture of you and your romantic read at an Italian restaurant, on the beach, or bathed in candlelight with a chick flick...go for it!

Some great examples of libraries that have already done this are the Chicago Public Library and the St. Thomas Public Library.

Photo courtesy of: http://chicagopubliclibrary.tumblr.com/post/42435195162/blind-date-with-a-book-what-a-fun-idea-from-the

3 comments:

  1. This is similar to the idea that I had. We do a program like this at my library and I love all of the patrons who participate and get something out of it. It is a neat way to get people to read something they normally wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do Blind Date with a Book at our library, but we do it with all sorts of books, not just romance. It's a great idea to do with just romance, though! It's always a lot of fun, and before I started setting up that display, I checked out a book that ended up being one of my favorites I read all of last year!

    My sister is an academic librarian, and she said that one of their employees set up a Blind Date with a Book display this year that had "dating profiles" of the main characters on the outside of them. There are lots of fun ways to go with this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent idea to include other books than romance! I personally would have my blind date with a good suspense or mystery novel. Thank you for reminding me to think outside the box :) Sometimes I theme too strictly because I get caught up and excited! I also love love love the dating profiles element.

    Lauren- do you have a high level of involvement? How do you guys set yours up?

    ReplyDelete