Monday, March 16, 2015

Book Club Experience

     My experience with book clubs is extremely limited. Before working in my current position, I had, as an avid reader, always wanted to be a part of a book club but never actually joined one. When I began working in adult programming at the library I received quite a bit of feedback suggesting that we return to offering book clubs as part of our programming line up. In retrospect, I should have sought book clubs to attend and observe before jumping into my own. However, that was not the case, and I embarked on starting our Books on Tap book club, which meets at a brew pup to discuss and enjoy good books and good brews. Following the beginning of that book club I began to notice that many patrons were getting in touch with me via Facebook and email, citing that they had interest in joining, but were unable to make the once a month meeting time, which lead to the creation of the Online Book Club. In the months since, both book clubs have continued to exist separately; however, people are able to engage either through the online Facebook group throughout the month and/or at the meeting, based upon their interest and availability. Both groups read the same book each month.
     
     At the most previous Books on Tap meeting, held in February at a local brew pub, the group 
discussed the book “Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith,” by Jon Krakauer. This incendiary and emotionally charged book was definitely an undertaking for the group, as it encouraged a strong reaction. I moderated this book club, and there were four people in attendance. One person had not finished the book and another had not read it. Although I tried to keep conversation going, to be honest, it was difficult. More often than not, the conversation strayed to other topics, or people’s opinions about Mormonism more than the story. Truth be told, this has been a typical set up since the beginning of the book club. I am rarely in control of it, and don’t often know how to constructively lead the conversation, without interjecting my own opinions. I do not feel that this is the fault of the attendees, but rather the example that they are given by my lack of understanding regarding how to direct the flow of conversation. Having read the week’s reading material, it is clear that I need to be creating a more structured club, so that there is an actual book discussion, rather than simply an awkward get together. As a moderator, I need to follow Erin’s advice, and cease to include my own opinion in discussions, or at least to lead with it. Furthermore, I also plan to follow Erin’s advice, and transition the club to one which requires members to have read the book. I think that this would be extremely beneficial, given that the numbers never go above five in attendance, and that return members are rare.


   Conversely, the Online Book Club, run through Facebook, is far more successful, and follows the rules of how a book club should be run more effectively. Instead of meeting in person, the conversation goes all month long and has over 100 members. The month before, the members are given four books to vote on (based upon reading lists, bestsellers and member suggestions), and by the 15th the winner is determined. I then moderate the group, with additional help from one of our librarian’s, by making the members aware of the winning book, and then posting conversation starters and questions throughout the month. When members post their own comments/questions or respond to those posted we are sure to keep the conversation going. These interactions tend to be more structured and constructive, and encourage people to share not only their opinions but also their experiences with the book. I think that this is easier to moderate because of the clearly defined rules of this book club, as well as the comfort people tend to have with expressing their opinions and taking part in a group, when they don’t actually have to find the time or energy to meet in person.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kate! I am so glad to have read your book club experience! Any group meeting is hard to keep control of, personalities are awesome and also chaotic. You seem determined and are thinking your way through. The bible study group I had decades ago was a little chaotic at first, but after a year or so, we became a pretty steady group with some additions here and there. It is a good thing to have your core group and with your physical group, maybe making the others become responsible members, like a co-chair, a recorder, etc, just to get them more involved in the book and book club process. People are just so different, I think you do very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much JM, it's definitely difficult, but worth it! I have to report that I just met with my group this week and it was infinitely better! Now, it helped, that the attendees were all serious readers ready for discussion. But it also helped that a dear friend, and library co-worker, helped me to develop a reading guide and came with to help keep the discussion moving along. It was so much easier with a back up, kind of like you mentioned! We were able to step in and support one another, and together I think we did it! It was clear that the attendees were very pleased and we even stayed an hour late talking about the book!

    ReplyDelete